What triggers a Traumatic Event?
Trauma consists of a series of symptoms that arise from a traumatic event which occurs in one’s life. Certain people or situations may suddenly remind the person of the traumatic event. We call these events triggers, and they will often take the person back in time so they are reexperiencing all the emotions of fear, stress and anxiety as if it was happening to them all over again in their minds. Take the case of a client who was involved in a bad car accident while crossing a bridge several years ago. Now every time he approaches a bridge, memories of that crash are relived in his mind. The subconscious mind believes that these memories are actually true and occurring right now so it sends a message to the brain: the brain then sends a message down to the body so the body can feel and experience the stress or anxiety.
Hypnotherapy has emerged as a credible, evidence-based treatment option for sufferers of a traumatic event.
Hypnotherapy, in a large part, deals with unlocking the subconscious mind. We must emphasize here that the main tools of the conscious mind are rational thinking, analysing and judging. In contrast, the subconscious mind is a huge sensory vehicle consisting of the ability to experience our world through our senses: sounds, smells, tastes, visuals or pictures, and/or feelings. One way to release what is stored in the subconscious is to understand what the triggers for trauma actually are.
Some of the ways that hypnotherapy is effectively used in the treatment of trauma:
- By identifying each trigger so that the client experiences more control of situations in their life
- By subconsciously installing powerful stress reducing tools that when exercised will help give the sufferer much greater control of their stress and anxiety, allowing them to live a more normal life.
- By slowly reducing his or her reactions to symptoms and common triggers
- Hypnotherapy is able to go even deeper into the individual memories to see if other, previous stressful events are adding fuel to the traumatic wildfire
How can it help me?
Hypnotherapy can be a powerful treatment for trauma because it treats the cause of the problem and helps the client better manage the effects at its core: the triggers. Heal the triggers, heal the person. Because hypnotherapy is primarily a method for accessing and treating the subconscious mind, it’s a perfect tool for the sufferer of trauma and countless other issues like bad habits, old fears, even phobias that can be triggered by old memories locked away in the subconscious mind. By shifting those old memories from the subconscious mind to the conscious mind and safely allowing the client to let go of those old experiences the client is able to move on and live the rest of their life in peace, free from the past memories that caused him to greatly suffer in the past.
* DISCLAIMER Even though I have a high success rate with my clients, success cannot be 100% guaranteed as results can vary from individual to individual.